2019 Oscar nominations: who got rewarded & who got snubbed?

Every single part of this awards season has felt crazy-early, and its only going to get worse next year, when they move the Academy Awards up by three weeks (are they still doing that? They need to not do that). So this feels hella early, but Academy voters have already voted on this years Oscar

Clara Lionel Foundations Diamond Ball

Every single part of this awards season has felt crazy-early, and it’s only going to get worse next year, when they move the Academy Awards up by three weeks (are they still doing that? They need to not do that). So this feels hella early, but Academy voters have already voted on this year’s Oscar nominations. There are some surprises, like always, but what remains the same is how quickly various “consensus” nominees there are. Also consistent: Academy voters are pretty dumb and racist. I’m devoting this post to the “big nominations” (sorry costume designers) and you can see the full list of 2019 Oscar nominations here.

BEST PICTURE
BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

BEST DIRECTOR
Adam McKay, Vice
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
Pawel Pawlikowski, Cold War

BEST ACTOR
Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

BEST ACTRESS
Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
Glenn Close, The Wife
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

ORIGINAL SONG
“All the Stars,” Black Panther
“I’ll Fight,” RBG
“The Place Where Lost Things Go,” Mary Poppins
“Shallow,” A Star is Born
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings,” The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

I’m crying about Timothée Chalamet not getting a nomination for Beautiful Boy. I haven’t seen it – because it looks mega-depressing – but he’s reportedly brilliant in it and it would have been lovely to see the best actor of his generation get back-to-back Oscar nominations. I’m very happy for Richard E. Grant, who has been having THE BEST time this awards season. I think Regina King is the favorite in the Supporting Actress category, but Weisz, Stone and Adams have been nominated for everything. It’s nice to see Marina de Tavira get a surprise nomination – I don’t think many prognosticators saw that coming.

Notable snubs… um, no Bradley Cooper for Best Director, which is so funny to me. He got nominated for Actor and Best Song though, so whatever. No John David Washington for BlacKkKlansman, because as I said at the beginning, people need to remember that Academy voters are racist as hell and they’d rather reward Viggo Mortensen for Green Book rather than John David. No Peter Farrelly for director though? Good. Green Book blows. No Barry Jenkins for anything other than adapted screenplay. Pleasantly surprised to see BlacKkKlansman/Spike Lee nominated for Best Picture and Director.

Not a ton of love for Mary Poppins Returns in the big noms (although it swept up in the technical noms) – no Emily Blunt nomination, and no nom for Best Picture. The most “out of nowhere” nomination is probably for Pawel Pawlikowski for Cold War – the film is getting a lot of attention, for sure, but most people thought it would just get a nod in Best Picture MAYBE.

Film stills courtesy of IMDB.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7pLHLnpmirJOdxm%2BvzqZmb2hmboN6e5FpaHKXn6iwor6%2Bp6amoZ6Wwaq7zayWsKCflLSwwL6rnLCZopmypavWoaaYn5%2BprLS61JuZnpxf

Share!